Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Russell Brand's letter to Amy Winehouse, sincere and poignant

Today I want to propose a content a little 'different approaches to the death of Amy Winehouse, I have heard so much, the press went wild with pictures and content, but no one has written the real truth, one that is far from molasses, which has named Amy genius and disorderliness haute immediately pigeonholed into the club of 27.

Someone wrote "asked for it" but that's not the point, the point is that when the habit becomes the norm, when your life falls apart and you do not know to ask for help, not wanting you realize, perhaps, is Always the bitterness of the certainty that someone could have changed things. With a caress, a phone call, forced hospitalization.

Today I present to you the most sincere and beautiful that has been said about Amy, the letter that Russell Brand has written to Amy Winehouse. Amy Winehouse is talented artist and this must always point out, because even if his voice is drowned in alcohol and fragility, although the last album of 2006 and the last concerts were a disaster, you are a genius indeed it is .

When these things happen I always wonder if it was avoidable, if someone could do something to give her an alternative, one more reason ... to talk about today is that Russell Brand, a former drug addict, recovered, says its no fake niceness, but talking about you and him, of the weakness and fragility of those who did not have it done and who managed to get out (like him).

Read ... "For Amy When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction are you expecting the call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will come from the addict himself, who tells you they've had enough, who is ready to quit, ready to try something new.

Of course, it is feared the other call, the sad tolling night from a friend or relative who tells you it's too late, she's gone. Frustrating is not a call you never wanted to receive. And 'it is impossible to intervene. Amy Winehouse knew for years. When I first met her near Camden was just a little 'silly with a pink satin jacket that is dragged to a bar with mutual friends, most of which were in strong indie bands or were peripheral figures in Camden seeking a way through life with a helpless charisma.

Carl Barratt told me that "Winehouse" (which is usually called so because I liked it and I find a kind of fun to call a girl by last name) was a jazz singer, which struck me as a bizarre anomaly in the crowd. To me, with my limited knowledge of music, Amy put this information beyond an invisible boundary of applicability, "jazz singer? Must be an eccentric "I thought.

I chatted with her in any case, however, was after all, a girl, and she was sweet and unique, but especially vulnerable. I myself at that time had just come out of rehab and I was hungry women look less complicated, so I immediately reflected on the fact that Winehouse now clear and I have shared a disaster, the disease of addiction.

All employees, regardless of the substance or on their social status, have a symptom consistent and clear: they are not very present when you talk to them. They communicate with the user through a veil barely perceptible, but non-ignorable. If a homeless person bothers you grumpy 50-pence for a cup of tea or a coke, cast foam or a manager out of his "boat" there is a 'toxic aura that prevents the connection.

They seem to be elsewhere, they're looking through you, from where he would rather be somewhere else. And of course they are. The priority of every employee is to anesthetize the pain of living in order to facilitate the passage of the day with some relief acquired. From time to time I came in that Amy had good jokes, so we could chat a bit 'and make us laugh, was "a character", but that world was a double-edged sword, drugged and opportunists.

I was one of them, even in the early recovery I kept afloat only clinging to the bodies of strangers as Winehouse, but for its peculiar sweetness is not particularly recorded. Then she became famous massively and I had done good to see you recognized but especially puzzled because he had experience with his work and this is not 1950, I was wondering how a "jazz singer" had achieved such cultural significance.

I was not curious enough to do something so extreme as to hear his music or go to one of his concerts, I was myself becoming famous at that time and was a consumption of all experiences. It 'was only by chance, when I attended a concert by Paul Weller at the Roundhouse, which I've never seen her live.

I arrived late and as I did way between the public through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the sound of a long and persistent, the resonance of a beautiful female voice. Entering into the space where I've seen on stage with Amy Weller and his band, and then astonishment. The wonder that surrounds you when you're watching a genius.

From his presence at the strangely gentle voice, a voice that seemed to come from her, but somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, the source of all sizes. A voice that was filled with such strong pain that was both completely human and divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all open immediately.

Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! What an idiot, all the eyeliner and Lagers in Chalk Farm Road under that hair collected at the head, the lips that I had only seen a fishmonger queer shake and drip curses, now a portal to the sacred sound. So now I understand. It was not just some unfortunate hood, and even angry that another cancellation had made it, or ten pence a singer who was enjoying his fifteen minutes.

It was not fucking genius. Fool that I now consider the surface in a different light, the light that burned out of paradise when he sang. Which now lights up and a new phase of our friendship began. He came to some of my shows on TV and radio, I saw her still around, but now the waiting a little 'more interest.

Publicly, however, Amy became increasingly defined by his addiction. Our media are more interested in tragedy, however, the talent, and so the ink has begun to lack praise from his gift for making the news of his downfall. The destructive personal relationships, the blood has soaked your dancing shoes, canceled performances, the madness of youtube with the baby mice.

In public perception this ephemeral gossip replaced its timeless talent. This, and its behavior in our casual encounters, made me realize the seriousness of his condition. Addiction is a serious illness, it ends with jail, the hospital or death. I was 27 years old when through friendship and the help of Chip Somers Focus12 the treatment center I found the recovery after the focus I was introduced to support scholarships for alcoholics and drug addicts that are very easy to find, and open to anyone with a desire to stop drinking, and without which it would not be alive.

Amy Winehouse is now dead, like many others whose deaths were unnecessary romanticized in retrospect, to 27 years. If this tragedy was avoidable or not is irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We lost a beautiful woman and talented for this disease. Not all addicts have the incredible talent of Amy.

Or Kurt or Janis or Jimi, some people have only pain. All we can do is adapt the way we see this condition, not as a crime or a romantic whim, but as a disease that kills. We must review the way in which society deals with drug addicts, not as criminals but as sick people needing treatment.

We need to look at the way in which the government finances the rehab. AND 'cheaper to rehabilitate a drug addict, rather than sending them to prison, so the criminalization does not even make sense economically. Not everyone knows someone with incredible talent but we know that Amy had all drunk and drugged and they all need help, and help is out there.

All you have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. However, there will be a phone call. "

No comments:

Post a Comment